- July 22, 2019
- Anti Aging Sports
5 Anti-Aging Benefits of Exercise
- Improved overall ability to do everyday activities.
- Decreased risk of osteoporosis.
- Increased calorie burn.
- Improved flexibility.
- Stronger heart and lungs.
As we age, our metabolism and muscle mass start to decrease. Did you know that adults lose between five and seven pounds of muscle every decade after age 20?
To combat these signs of aging, add exercise into your daily routine. Whether it’s tracking your steps, running outside during your lunch break or taking your favorite fitness class. It’s important to set aside this time to improve your overall health.
Here are just a few of the key benefits to improving your quality of life throughs trength training:
- Improved overall ability to do everyday activities. Think: picking up groceries, holding your child, pushing the lawnmower, etc. The stronger your muscles are, the greater chance you have of staying injury-free.
- Decreased risk of osteoporosis. Inactivity and aging can lead to a decrease in bone density, causing brittleness. Studies have shown that consistent strength training can increase bone density and prevent osteoporosis.
- Increased calorie burn. Strength training increases the body’s metabolic rate, causing it to burn more calories throughout the day. This aids significantly in long-term weight loss.
- Improved flexibility. Incorporating yoga or stretching into your week is an important part of sticking with your workout plan. Exercising without a high level of flexibility makes the body extremely prone to injuries that can throw off an exercise routine for weeks or even months.
- Stronger heart and lungs. According to the American Heart Association, you should be exercising at a moderate-intensity for at least 30-minutes, 5 days a week. If you’re ready to take things up a notch, aim instead for 25 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity at least 3 days a week.
It’s never too late to start exercising. The only person that is holding you back is you, so why not start today.